Monday, January 02, 2006

Don't Miss This One

"When Chirst calls a man, he bids him come and die." - Diethrich Bonhoeffer. Are these just cute words the author put on paper to sell copies? No, he lived these words...to the death. For more on my favorite author and spiritual giant see his link on this page. I won't beat around the bush, second to the Bible, this is a book every believer should read. I rank it higher than any other book I've ever read, any devotional, any sermon, any day. The first two chapters are a discussion of the difference in cheap grace and costly grace. Do you know? I would say most believers think too lightly of the blood of Christ and His Cross, including myself most of the time. These chapters give you an incredible perspective. The next several chapters of the book deal with the sermon on the mount. The only way I know to explain it is that the sermon on the mount raised the bar well above what the law required. His commentary on this sermon raises the bar well beyond what we currently understand of it to another level! Then the book ends with an incredible exposition about living in community with one another, basically expanding our understanding of 1 John. I can't really do this book enough justice in a review to convince you to read it. Let me just say that I would be happy to purchase the book for any of you who would agree to read it cover-to-cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home