Friday, September 01, 2006

Of Adversity

That is the title of one of Francis Bacon’s essays. I am enjoying these one to two page blurbs on a wide variety of topics and am trying to digest one or two per day. Thought I would pass along a quote today and find out if any of you have anything to add on the subject.

“Prosperity is the blessing of the Old Testament; adversity is the blessing of the New; which carrieth the greater benediction, and the clearer revelation of God’s favour. Prosperity is not without many fears and distastes; and adversity is not without comforts and hopes. We see in [in art] it is more pleasing to have a lively work upon a sad and solemn ground, than to have a dark and melancholy work upon a lightsome ground; judge therefore, of the pleasure of the heart by the pleasure of the eye. Certainly, virtue is like precious odours, most fragrant when they are incensed, or crushed: for prosperity doth best discover vice; but adversity doth best discover virtue.”


I’m not sure what I think about the comparison of the Old and New Testaments. While adversity might be the blessing (theme) of the New Testament, there seems to be equal portions of prosperity and adversity in the Old Testament. As for the rest, I think I agree with it, though I’ve never thought about the subject quite in these terms before. The comparison of the pleasures of the heart and eyes is a unique illustration. I’ll have to see if it holds true the next time I visit an art gallery. The last line reminds me of the promise found in Paul’s words in 2 Cor. 4:8-12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home