Book Update
Since being here I have realized that there are two types of English books that are extremely easy to find...Harry Potter and the classics (Dickens, Bronte, Austen, etc). Since I'm not a Harry Potter fan, I have been reading the classics. Yesterday I bought an English copy of Jane Eyre from a man who was selling books off of a cart that was on the back of his bicycle!
Last week I stayed up until 3:15am so that I could finish Great Expectations and discovered two important things:
1. Unless there is some sort of serious reason, I should never attempt to stay up until 3:15 in the morning. My college days are definitely over.
2. Finishing a Charles Dickens book is reason enough to stay up that late. What a wonderful book! I have read other Dickens' books before but I think that this was my favorite. In the beginning I absolutely hated the main character, Pip, but he undergoes such a dramatic change throughout the course of the novel, it is definitely worth the read.
~A

1 Comments:
Oh, I love Great Expectations so much! Estelle and Miss Haversham are entirely wonderful. I confess though that I tend to skip the middle volume...
I like Jane Eyre too, but there are some bits that annoy me a lot. Tarot? Calling across the moors? Sickly ending? Euch! What think you?
Rosie
Post a Comment
<< Home