Into Thin Air
The reason I read this book has a history that started a little over two years ago. On a trip to the dentist to get her wisdom teeth removed, A picked up a copy of Outside Magazine in the waiting room. She really enjoyed the few articles she read before being called to the back and sedated. Little did I know how much she enjoyed them! A month or so later as a reward for finishing a big project, I promised to buy her a subscription to a magazine of her choice (she had been begging for a subscription to a quilting magazine). To my surprise she decided on Outside! Since the first one came in the mail we have been faithful readers of just about every article.Sometimes a story makes references to past historic or tragic events in adventure sport history that go over our heads. A whole edition was recently published rehashing the mysterious events surrounding a 1996 expedition up Mount Everest, made popular by Into Thin Air. I enjoyed the articles so much, I decided I had to read the book to get the full picture. While this book is a deviation from much of my usual reading (this may be my first memoir), I enjoyed it a lot. Come to think of it, I read Guns, Germs, and Steel because of a recommendation by Outside too. I recommend the book to those of you who enjoy backpacking and adventure related memoirs.
-L

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home